WHAT IS INVISALIGN AND HOW IT WORKS?
WHAT IS INVISALIGN?
Invisalign is a type of orthodontic treatment that can be used to straighten the teeth in order to achieve a more beautiful smile.
It is useful for patients who have mild to moderate misalignment and can also align the bite and occlusion. Patients having issues such as overbite, crossbite, or underbite can get benefitted from Invisalign treatments. The procedure is done using clear plastic aligner trays to gradually move the teeth into proper alignment. This is accomplished by wearing the trays for at least 20 hours a day. The trays can easily be removed, allowing the patients to maintain their oral health and hygiene. Oral hygiene measures like flossing and brushing can be done as they normally would be without having to worry about brackets and wires that can make it complicated.
INDICATIONS OF INVISALIGN
Many patients are curious about the indications and advantages of using Invisalign over traditional metallic braces. Both are the means of teeth alignment to restore esthetics as well as the functioning of the teeth by improving occlusion. Here are some indications of Invisalign or clear aligners:
- Invisalign straightens the teeth by using removable trays instead of brackets that are glued to the teeth and connected wires.
- Invisalign provides relatively more precise treatment, as digital imaging is used to create the Invisalign trays.
- Invisalign treatment allows patients to get a perfect smile without having to hide behind metal appliances like braces.
- Invisalign trays are removable so that the patients can maintain their oral health and hygiene with brushing and flossing.
- Invisalign is comparable in cost with traditional metallic braces and is more discreet.
- Invisalign is more suitable for teenagers or adults who understand the importance of complying with their treatment.
HOW DOES INVISALIGN WORK?
Patients often ask how the Invisalign works and whether they are as effective as traditional metallic braces or not.
First, patients book their consultation appointment with an orthodontist. During this visit, the dentist does the thorough examination for assessment of the patients’ smiles and decides if they are appropriate candidates for Invisalign treatment.
If the patients want to move forward with this service to achieve the smile of their desire, they then work with the dental professional’s team to complete a series of 3D digital impressions. These impressions create some images that are sent to the Invisalign laboratories.
In the laboratory, the dental team will create a precision set of trays that will guide the patients through the procedure of enhancing their smiles.
The number of trays used in patients’ series will vary, depending on the severity of misalignment. Patients then return to the dental office to obtain their fabricated trays.
During this time period, the dentist will walk patients through the procedure of correcting their functional occlusion and smile.
After the tray fabrication is completed, the patients start with the first tray and snap them over their natural teeth. Each tray is worn for about two weeks before patients progress to the next one. By the end of using the tray series, patients will have achieved their desired and beautiful smile with the restoration of better functional occlusion.